Rory McIlroy and Erica Stoll tell of lavish Irish wedding next year
The Co Down golfer and his birdie are set to get married in 2017 after getting together two years ago
RORY McIlroy has revealed how he and his birdie Erica Stoll started out their relationship as friends.
The Irish golfer, 27, openly spoke out about how he met his gorgeous fiancée and how they got together two years ago.
The glam couple are set to get married in a lavish location in Ireland in 2017.
Speaking to Cool FM, Rory said he ‘didn’t really ask Erica out’, but instead he asked her ‘what’s going on here?’
- Rory McIlroy & Wife, Erica Stoll, Got Married in a Castle in Front of U2 Members
- Who is Rory McIlroy’s Wife?
- Who is Rory McIlroy’s wife Erica Stoll? When did Europe Ryder Cup 2018 golfer split with Caroline Wozniacki?
- Rory McIlroy will win again while playing in a final group on Sunday, but here's what he'll have to do first
- Rory McIlroy-Erica Stoll wedding
- Rory McIlroy marries fiancée Erica Stoll in star-studded wedding – all the details
- Who Is Rory McIlroy’s Caddie?
- Rory McIlroy marries Erica Stoll in lavish ceremony in Ireland
- Rory McIlroy wedding, bachelor party details emerge
- Rory McIlroy weds Erica Stoll: Details emerge from the ‘wedding of the decade’
The Down native said: “I think the nicest thing about Erica and I’s relationship is we started out as friends.
He continued: “We were friends for a couple of years, we knew each other from the golf circuit and in summer 2014 started to spend a bit more time together and it went from there.”
“We spent Halloween together in 2014 and then the day next we went for a bit of brunch and we bumped into my mam and dad, but they knew her anyway so that was okay.”
Rory added: “We were sort of seeing each other for about a month and I didn’t really ask her out, I just sort of said, ‘What’s going on here? Where’s this going?’”
McIlroy was previously engaged to former world number one tennis player Caroline Wozniacki but famously backed out of the marriage in May 2014, just days after the wedding invitations were sent out.
The 27-year-old sports superstar revealed that blonde beauty Erica, 29, was nervous about getting too serious with him because of putting him under pressure.
Rory said: “I think she was conscious she didn’t want to pressurise me into anything because of what had went on with me but I was all for it.”
With regards to his wedding, Rory was keeping tight lipped and failed to give too much away but revealed he is helping with the organising.
The loved-up golfer said: “Everything is under control, between us we can just about make a decision,”
“I’ve gotten involved in planning the wedding. Erica keps saying, ‘It’s our day, not just my day.”