Multiple reports have stated, All-Star Elena Delle Donne has come out, announcing she is engaged to her girlfriend, Amanda Clifton, as reported by the Chicago Tribune. This is the first time there has been any acknowledgement of her sexual orientation.
- WNBA's Delle Donne hopes upcoming wedding can help others
- Delle Donne wedding: Cascading flowers, ensemble changes and moving moments
- Elena Delle Donne married her girlfriend, and it was absolutely stunning
- This WNBA star didn’t want a media frenzy when she came out. But thousands watched her wedding.
- WNBA MVP Elena Delle Donne And Fiancee Amanda Clifton Will Marry Tonight At The Knot Dream Wedding
- WNBA player marries in 'Dream Wedding'
- Amanda Clifton, Elena Delle Donne’s Fiancée: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
- WNBA MVP Elena Delle Donne and Fiancée Amanda Clifton Named The Knot 2017 Dream Wedding Couple
- 'I love a woman, it is no big deal': WNBA star Elena Delle Donne marries girlfriend Amanda Clifton in lavish ceremony
The Tribune shared some of her interview with Vogue from this month’s issue stating, “I’ve grown up in a family where I have the most unique sister in the world and we’ve always been taught to celebrate uniqueness,” Delle Donne said Wednesday in Rio, where she is preparing for the Olympics. “It was easy for me to be who I am and hopefully, others can be who they are as well.”
In the past, Delle Donne has been questioned about her personal life, however, she has always declined to answer those questions. Until a few months ago she has been sharing more pictures on her social media account with her and Clifton involved in various activities.
“I decided I’m not at all going to hide anything, Delle Donne said. “The biggest thing is respecting Amanda’s privacy as well. She’s not on the stage; she doesn’t need to be interviewed, and I don’t want her to have feel that way.”
The Chicago Tribune further reported, she doesn’t want that to change in the future, yet does understand currently, “there’s excitement right now because people see it for the first time.” The “it” Delle Donne is referring to is who she is in a relationship with.
While this news is just now hitting the newsstands, the interview with Vogue occurred “months ago” Delle Donne shared. Herself and Clifton became engaged on June 2nd of this year.
The Chicago Tribune reported that Clifton posted a photo, which appeared to be Delle Donne’s proposal, where Clifton is standing next to a sign that says “marry me??” and she (Clifton) wrote as the caption of the photo, “obviously I said yes!”
It was also during this interview that Delle Donne stated she couldn’t leave Clifton out because she is a big part of her life and since Vogue came to her house for the interview seeing what her life is like, she could not leave her out.
“So to leave her out wouldn’t have made any sense. It’s not a coming out article or anything. I’ve been with her for a very long time now and people who add close to me know that and that’s that.”
Some of those people close to her are her teammates on the Sky who know who Clifton is.
Clifton has been the director of the De11e Donne Academy, which is a basketball clinic for girls, since 2014. She has a basketball background of playing herself. Clifton played point guard at Illinois State University from 2007-2011.
The two woman share two apartments, one in Chicago of course where Delle Donne plays and another one in Wilmington, Delaware.